Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
In order to become a member of Sustainable Travel Ireland, you must first read and agree to the terms and conditions of this Code of Conduct. By ticking the ‘I agree to the Code of Conduct’ box on the sign-up form, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
1. In all aspects of your business, you undertake to embrace the principles of Sustainable Tourism as defined by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO):
“Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.”
2. You will appoint and support a Green Team/Person within your business to drive, develop and manage your sustainable tourism policy and practices.
3. You commit to doing no harm to other businesses, people, environment and animals in the running of your business.
In the first 3 months:
4. You agree to develop and implement a Sustainable Tourism Policy suitable to the size, scope and nature of your business.
5. You agree to make sustainability a priority within your business, agreeing to work towards achieving the following items within one year of becoming a member of Sustainable Travel Ireland:
6. You agree to engage in pre-travel communication with all customers on sustainability. (For example, you will ask your customers to bring their own reusable water bottle, to use public transport and to purchase local goods where possible.)
7. You agree to reduce the carbon footprint of your business and to offset the carbon emitted by your business operations through a recognised carbon offsetting scheme.
8. You agree to encourage Irish tourism industry suppliers to adopt responsible tourism and business practices. (For example, you will ask your suppliers to reduce single-use plastic reduction, energy and waste.)
9. You agree to build environmental and cultural awareness and respect within your business and to share this awareness with your guests and community.
10. You agree to balance the needs of both visitors and host communities to create mutually positive experiences.
11. You agree to contribute to conservation efforts. (This can be financial or time volunteered).
12. You agree to employ members of the local community and support locally owned businesses.
13. You agree to support and participate in Sustainable Travel Ireland’s programmes and events and, where possible, you will seek to play an active role in their network at local, regional and/or international level.
14. You agree to contribute to the positive and more sustainable development of the tourism industry by implementing and educating others about sustainable tourism.
15.You agree to commit to continuously assessing the quality and standards of the sustainable tourism service you are providing, making improvements and adjustments on an ongoing basis.
16. You agree to educate your staff and visitors on sustainable tourism.
17. You agree to use accurate and responsible marketing methods, providing visitors with full and responsible information that increases respect for the natural and cultural environments of a destination. This in turn will enhance customer satisfaction and inform customers on how to respect the natural and cultural environments visited.
18. You agree in full to the membership Terms and Conditions.